If you’re having problems printing from your Android device, it might be because the printer isn’t compatible with Google Cloud Print. Unfortunately, Google stopped supporting Cloud Print as of 2020 (except for organizations that had existing contracts), and the service will shut down completely on December 31, 2023. The good news is that your phone still supports direct Wi-Fi printing, it’s just not as simple as before.
To start using this new direct print feature
- Make sure your wireless network and printer are turned on and connected to the same network: If your printer doesn’t have an internal Wi-Fi antenna but only into a wired network connection, then you’ll need to get a special kind of router that has Wi-Fi support. These are often called “wireless range extenders” because they work by extending the original wireless signal on your network.
- Call up the Settings menu on your phone, tap connections, then tap wireless & networks.
- Find and tap Printing in the list of options.
- Tap Default printer: If there is only one printer available for sharing over the network, it will be set as default automatically. You can confirm this after tapping Printing and seeing that it says “Connected”.
Your device is now paired with your printer and ready to print! When you print from an app like Google Docs or Gmail, it will ask you to select your printer from the Default Devices list. Just tap the name of your printer, and documents or photos should be immediately sent to it. If you want to print something other than what’s in your email, open up an app like Google Docs, Photos, Gmail, etc., find the image or file you want to print, then tap Menu > Print.
Some tips and easy ways
There are a few extra steps involved when printing pictures or files that aren’t stored in an Android app. For example, if you want to print an image that’s already on your device (like one found online), first save it to the phone by tapping the Download icon at the bottom of screen. When it appears in Gallery apps, choose Menu > Print.
How to print a webpage?
If you want to print a webpage, navigate to it on your phone, tap the Menu button, and select “Print.”
After choosing Default Printer, you’ll see a list of printers. If your printer isn’t listed, make sure it’s turned on and connected to the same network as your phone. You can also try removing any nearby printers that are incompatible with Google Cloud Print, then add them again so they appear in the list.
Once your printer appears, tap it to use it as default for all future printing tasks. From now on when you want to print something from an app like Gmail or Gallery apps just choose that printer from the menu. If there are multiple people using the same Android device, you have the option to share printers with them. Simply tap More under “Manage Printers” and turn on Share this printer, then the person will be able to see it in the Default Printer list.
Remove printer from other devices
Suppose you’re trying to remove a printer from your computer or other devices. In that case, you can use a few different methods depending on the operating system you’re using. Here are some general steps you can take to remove a printer from your device:
- Open your device’s “Devices and Printers” or “Printers and Scanners” settings. Depending on your operating system, this can be found in the Control Panel or Settings app.
- Find the printer you want to remove from the list of available printers. If you need help deciding which printer to remove, you can usually identify it by its name or model number.
- Right-click on the printer and select “Remove” or “Delete” from the drop-down menu. This will remove the printer from your device.
- If the printer is connected to a network or other devices, you may also need to remove it from those devices. Consult the printer manual or manufacturer’s website for instructions on this.
- Restart your device to ensure that the printer has been completely removed.
After setting up your default printing service for Android 4.4 Kit Kat or newer using these instructions, you may need to pair your phone with your printer again if you switch networks or move printers to a new Wi-Fi network. Your phone should remember the settings based on the device name, but it won’t hurt to check.
How to pair a printer with your android mobile device?
- On the printer control panel, press and hold the home button (if available). Wait until you see the pairing icon on your printer start flashing.
- Check that Wi-Fi is enabled on your phone, if not, turn it on, and then launch Google Cloud Print from the list of Apps. A sign in window should appear automatically if asked for credentials.
- The next time you print from an app like Gmail or Gallery apps just choose that printer from the menu. If there are multiple people using the same Android device, you have the option to share printers with them. Simply tap More under “Manage Printers” and turn on Share this printer, then the person will be able to see it in the Default Printer list.
Your device is now paired with your printer and ready to print! When you print from an app like Google Docs or Gmail, it automatically sends the document to be printed directly through the Default Print Service. If you want to print a webpage (like this one), navigate to it on your phone, tap the Menu button, and select Print.
How it works?
If you have a compatible printer, after choosing Default Printer, you’ll see a list of printers. Unless other printers have been added using the instructions above, there will only be one printer listed by default:
- To get started, open up your web browser and go to the official Gmail website. Once you’re there, sign into your Gmail account or create a new temporary email address that is associated with your printer.
- Once you have logged in, click on the “Settings” button (it looks like a cog wheel) and then select “Add Another Email Address You Own.”
- From here, it’s simply a matter of putting in your actual printer email address which you can find by turning off your printer and looking for an envelope icon near the LCD screen. Click on this and write down the email address that pops up under it.
- Now all you need to do is enter this into Gmail along with picking how often you want Google to check for new emails, and click next.
- Next, you’ll want to find your printer’s email address in the “From” section of the Gmail Settings page. You may have to select some options before being able to see it properly. Once this is done, click save changes at the bottom of the page.
- From here, all you need to do is send an email from anywhere with your document, picture or webpage that you would like printed attached to an email addressed sent directly to your printer.
The best part about this service is that you can get notifications when new emails are received on your account by turning on mobile notifications for your printer Gmail address which will give you a notification every time a new message arrives at your inbox. When you want to turn off these emails, simply uncheck the box at the top of the Gmail screen which reads “enable inbox notifications.”
The steps for connecting a printer to a phone are relatively straightforward. You should be able to connect your phone to a printer within a few minutes by following the guide above.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Yes, it is quite easy. Just follow the instructions.
No, this is not a good idea. Stay connected your phone with the internet then it is easy to print as compared to other method.